Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Aquarium Drunkard Presents :: Ghost Capital II (A Mixtape)


Hey friends, this here's the second mixtape I've had the honor of curating for Aquarium Drunkard . This time, I thought I'd try to pretend that I'm a regular DJ on their weekly show. A generous helping of new & favorite rock, folk & soul rotation from ye olde home studio (aka my living room). The way I see it, AD blends dusty golden grooves and real-time cool with such admirable integrity, that I thought it would be fun to try my hand at it too. A good excuse to flip the script on myself. Not sure I really pulled it off, per se, but I sure had a good time trying. Dan Melchior, Mikal Cronin, Moon Duo, Mariee Sioux, and my pal Mike Coykendall lend their blessed talents to the more contemporary angle. (And FYI - Mike's song is as-of-yet unreleased. It's featured his excellent new album, which he's currently shopping around to various labels, etc.) At times, the flow does embody something of a somber mood. Just couldn't be helped. I do hope, for better or worse, that the downer vibe does resonate with some of you readers. And if you have Sirius/XM access you can tune to AD's weekly program this Friday at noon. I'm totally hosting the show. Also, big ups to the benevolent Owl for throwing me the Gene Clark joint. And love to Eugene Von Bruenchenhein for the stunning image up yonder. Word.

"Our mixtape series returns with our second set featuring Nick Barbery of the Portland, OR based Ghost Capital. Find his first entry, here. With an ear bent toward the obscure and out-of-print, digging globally, Ghost Capital mines the secret shafts of psych, folk, blues and beyond."

Ghost Capital is my guest, this Friday, during the second hour of the AD show on SIRIUS/XMU.

Grab it: Aquarium Drunkard Presents :: Ghost Capital II (A Mixtape) *Re-upped 7/20/12 via Adrive


Side A

1. I Go To Sleep (Demo Version) / The Kinks
2. Casey’s Last Ride / Kris Kristofferson
3. Nothing To Be Done / The Pastels
4. Poison Pete’s Holiday / Dan Melchior und Das Menace
5. Green and Blue / Mikal Cronin
6. Psychedelic Texas / The McGoohans
7. As Long As I Have You / Garnet Mimms
8. Lead Me On / Bobby “Blue” Bland
9. Little Baby / The Blue Rondos 1
10. Love On My Brain / Jim Ford
11. Katie Cruel / Karen Dalton
12. Supernatural / Vic Chesnutt

Side B

1. Mr. Fly / Mike Coykendall
2. Full Circle Song / Gene Clark
3. Late again / Stealers Wheel
4. No Place to Fall / Townes Van Zandt
5. Winter / Moon Duo
6. Frowning Atahuallpa — My Inca Love (Ghostcapital Edit) / Tyrannosaurus Rex
7. Air / Incredible String Band
8. Naked Ladies & Electric Ragtime / Michael Chapman
9. Buried In Teeth (45 Version) / Mariee Sioux
10. Tea / Michael Hurley
11. Duchess / Scott Walker
12. I Get Up (Ghostcapital Edit) / Yes
13. Waltz For A Spaniel / Tony, Caro And John

16 comments:

Wilder Knochenmann said...

Oh boy, another mix to feast upon while Eileen Aroon still spins so fresh? What riches you shower upon us, friend. Thank you as always.

øשlqæda said...

congrats on another yob well done. dig the cover image muchly + the yes edit is a stroke of genius

øשlqæda said...

oh & is there way fer the sirius-challenged to peep yer live dj steez come fryday?

Holly said...

Nick, this mix is SO up my alley. Thank you!

Dan Leo said...

Really nice -- I think I only had two of these in my own collection, and now I have them all...thanks!

dfbm said...

really a great selection!

VM said...

Okay, first this, now downloading Obray Ramsey. Going to spend some time here (via Aquarium Drunkard). Thanks for the greatness.

Ramone666 said...

That Mike Coykendall track is especially wonderful. Know if the album is out yet?

nicholab said...

@ramone666 - - no, mike's trying now to find a good label to release it. it's a worthy record, mr fly is brilliant and my fingers are crossed for him.

@owl - - i'm happy that little tidbit suits yr transcendent tastes. thanks again for the cipher on this mix.

@errybody -- my pleasure, and much appreciated!

Gabriela said...

amazing mix! i shared it on my blog, hope that's alright :)

Nils said...

Awesome mix, especially side b!

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much, this was great!

Anonymous said...

A fine thing, especially enjoying The McGoohans & Garnet Mimms. Thanks

Flash Strap said...

Really dig the Yes cut, man. Nice work.

Alice said...

hi
i loved the mix
i also love the cover art
does anyone know the photograph origin?

Niandra said...

i think this is the best mixtape i've heard from ghostcapital...wonderful job!!! i want more like this!