Tuesday, November 1, 2011

(V/A) -- Christ Was Born On Christmas Morn (Historical, 1971 **HLP-34)



"It is almost axiomatic that religion finds its most eloquent expression in the lives of those peoples who are systematically exploited and whose greatest hopes lie in the promise of a future life free of injustice." (Richard Spottswood, cover notes)

1971 LP collection of pre-war gospel perfections. With the recent cultural enthusiasm for all things "American Primitive", most, if not all, of these cuts have since resurfaced in various collections from the likes of Document, Dust-To-Digital (+), Revenant etc. This record still stands as a crucial artifact, and the depth & power of its music no doubt speaks for itself. If you don't know it, Mother's Prayer is just astounding. Dick Spottswood pens the cover notes, here. As a personal rule, I will immediately grip anything that has that fellow's name on it. 320 vinyl rip by yours truly. Enjoy.



DL: (V/A) -- Christ Was Born On Christmas Morn (Historical, 1971 **HLP-34)

Cotton Top Mountain Sanctified Singers (featuring Frankie Half-Pint Jaxon and Punch Miller)
- Christ Was Born On Christmas Morn
- She's Coming 'Round The Mountain

Blind Willie Johnson
- The Soul Of A Man
- Take Your Stand

Blind Mamie Forehand & A.C. Forehand
- Wouldn't Mind Dying If Dying Was All
- Mothers Prayer
- I'm So Glad Today, Today

Laura Henton
- He's Coming Soon

Blind Willie McTell
- We Got To Meet Death One Day
- Ain't It Grand To Be A Christian
- Lay Some Flowers On My Grave

Arizona Dranes
- He Is My Story
- I Shall Wear A Crown

Edward W. Clayborn
- Jesus Will Make It Allright

Rooseveldt Graves & Brother
- I'll Be Rested (When The Roll Is Called)
- Wake Up This Morning (With My Mind On Jesus)

8 comments:

øשlqæda said...

word

Y Brawd said...

boss

Belgie said...

I love this song..

GK2nist said...

Unbelievable! I've been searching for the lead song on this compilation for decades. Thanks SO MUCH for taking the time and effort to encode and post this rarity. I found your site through WFMU's blog, and I'm glad I did! Best wishes for a boffo 2012, sir - and a tip of the proverbial.

GK2nist said...

Unbelievable! I've been searching for the lead song on this compilation for decades. Thanks SO MUCH for taking the time and effort to encode and post this rarity. I found your site through WFMU's blog, and I'm glad I did! Best wishes for a boffo 2012, sir - and a tip of the proverbial.

Tony said...

I believe all your multiupload posts are void. I think they were shut down by Interpol and the FBI?

This LP looks really good.

Anonymous said...

multiupload links are as dead as artists on this comp, though multiupload still exists, just not available to US, land of free speech and no censorship, I see you show info/date of 1971, curiously this ensemble appears on bandcamp as 2004, which I thought was a venue for unsigned living artists.

any chance for new link, thanks

Anonymous said...

according to bandcamp this was released 12 October 2004 by Cotton Top Mountain Sanctified Singers, all others listed on this comp are completely un-named and un-credited -clicking buy disc link results in 404
Page not found error

fresh link would be great, maybe Easter special, thanks