Friday, August 13, 2010

San Ul Lim- Vols 1-12

"San Ul Lim (translated as 'That Mountain Echo', alternate spellings include 'Sanulim', 'Sanullim' and 'San Ul Rim') was formed by three brothers born of privilege in Seoul, South Korea. With confidence gained from endless practicing and competing in a university student song contest, they approached record label SRB (because it was near their house!) and recorded their first album in just one day.
Upon its release in 1977, the LP sold over a half-million copies and paved the way for many further volumes. The songs are full of fuzz guitar, tinny keyboards and simple production, reminding one of the American garage and pop-psychedelic groups from the sixties, but with an Asian flavor. " -Weirdo Records


My buddy Grover had been hyping San Ul Lim to me for weeks now. Last night, he loaned me their complete discography (on vinyl), so I could hear their freaked-out fuzzy Korean psych wildness for myself. My plan was going to digitize them, for him & for you, but now I'm not so sure. Not because San Ul Lim doesn't rule (they do), but because some other folks in this here blogosphere have cut me to the chase. I see that the Bastards blog has posted their complete discography, including a 2 record best of compilation. I'm downloading as I type. If their rips are up to snuff, I see no need to go through all that effort of recording, editing & tagging San Ul Lim records, myself.

So anyways, I'm off to the zoo today with my son Amos & two of his pals. I highly recommend downloading some Sun Ul Lim. If any of ya'll get to downloading their posted discography, would you, could you comment here on their relative sound quality: Should I post my own rips or leave well-enough alone? Do any particular albums need an upgrade? That kind of thing....Paz.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, don't waste your time. Do you have any korean psych/prog/folk/grooves not found in the blogosphere? Maybe kim hee gap - go go sound vol 1 or shin jung hyun&yup juns - instrumental best?

/thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi ! About the complete dicography on the Bastards blog : http://antioxidote.blogspot.com/2008/10/san-ul-lim-discography.html

All album are always downloadable !

G o o d !! and thank you.

Anonymous said...

The discography links on the Bastards blog are dead. Can you up it or show me where else to get it?